Uncontested Probate (with all assets in the UK)
Please note that there will be two elements to the prices as set out below:
- Fees charged by Bennetts Solicitors; and
- Fees payable to third parties.
Please ensure that you consider both parts to our price information.
Fees charged by Bennetts Solicitors
|Legal fee *||1% gross value of estate||20% VAT|
|Probate application fee||£165.00||£0.00|
|Bank telegraphic transfer fee (if required)||£20.00||£4.00|
* Basis of charging = fixed fee
This quote is based on an estate where:
- There is a valid will.
- There is no more than one property.
- There are no more than 8 bank or building society accounts and shares.
- There are no other tangible assets.
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets.
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC.
- There are no claims made against the estate.
Work included and key stages
Our fees include obtaining the grant of probate, collecting assets and distributing them. The precise work and stages involved in a probate matter vary according to the circumstances. However, we have set out the key stages involved in a typical probate matter:
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice.
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries.
- Establish the extent of the estate by identifying the various assets and liabilities.
- Identify the type of probate application required.
- The application for Grant of Probate is prepared and then sworn by the executor and submitted to the appropriate Probate Registry together with the Will, if there is one.
- Once the Grant is received, it is submitted to the various organisations with whom assets are held in order to start the process of transferring the assets into the beneficiaries’ names.
- All estate liabilities have to be paid before the estate can be distributed among the beneficiaries;
- Confirmation is required that tax is paid up to date and there are no outstanding HMRC claims;
- Estate accounts should be prepared thereafter, and the estate distributed in accordance with the terms of the Will.
Our service will not include any of the following:
- Any contested probate matters or advice on the same.
- Advice on tax or other accounting matters.
- Advice on assets held outside of the UK.
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate.
Approximate/ average timescales
On average, estates that fall within this quote range are dealt with within 3 – 9 months.
Factors that could increase costs
In some circumstances we may increase our fees to account for additional time, work or skill required to meet your instructions. Examples include:
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required.
Qualifications and experience of our team
Our probate team includes:
|Anna Jordan||Solicitor||Anna joined Bennetts Solicitors taking up a work experience position in 2000 and has worked here ever since. Anna has trained to become and qualified as a Solicitor at this firm. Anna qualified in 2011 and undertakes conveyancing and private client work (wills, probate and lasting powers of attorney).|